Sunday, April 24, 2016

50 Wonderful Ways To Use Cottage Cheese


A little pamphlet from the American Dairy Association, undated but late 40’s/early 50’s from the artwork.  In most of the main dish and baking recipes, cottage cheese is used instead of eggs (or to augment a lesser # of eggs than a recipe would normally call for).  There are of course several cheesecake recipes.

One page give options for using cottage cheese as a sandwich filler, something that often appears in my cookbooks from the between-wars period. Old-style cottage cheese was evidently firmer than what you get in the stores today.

Chicken Cottage Cheese Salad  (makes 1 ½ cups)

1 cup creamed cottage cheese
½ cup finely chopped cooked or canned chicken
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons chopped, stuffed olives
Salt & pepper
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Combine first five ingredients and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and moisten to spreading consistency with mayonnaise.  Chill.

Peanut Cottage Cheese (makes 1 ½ cups)

1 cup creamed cottage cheese
1 cup chopped salted peanuts
1/8 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients and mix well.  Chill.

Olive Nut Cottage Cheese (makes 2 ½ cups)

1 cup creamed cottage cheese
3 tablespoons chopped stuff olives
3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Few grains pepper

Beat cottage cheese with a rotary or electric mixer until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and blend.

Pineapple Cottage Cheese (makes 1 ¼ cups)

2/3 cup (9-oz can) crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup creamed cottage cheese
2 tablespoons dairy sour cream

Beat cottage cheese with a rotary or electric mixer until smooth.   Add pineapple and sour cream and mix well. Especially good as a spread for party sandwiches with nut bread.

6 comments:

FUZZARELLY said...

We used to could buy cottage cheese and pineapple together in one container. I loved it! And the two still taste great together, so I mix up my own.

Lady Anne said...

They all sound interesting. When I was a kid, one of my favorite sandwiches was cottage cheese and apple butter.

Kathryn said...

May grandmother used to make her own cottage cheese and it was definitely drier. She referred to the purchased stuff as "creamed cottage cheese". If I remember correctly (which I probably don't) there used to be a firmer cottage cheese for sale also.

Bunnykins said...

Ricotta is less creamy. When I make lasagna, I hang the usual cottage cheese in a cheesecloth bag over the kitchen tap to drain it as it's hard to get ricotta where I am.
I have to try that chicken and cottage cheese recipe. It reminds me of the special salad plate that the old Laura Secord restaurants had in Toronto for ladies back in the 50s with little paper cups of different kinds of creamed meats and salads along with a small chef salad and fresh rolls. I've never found anything that looked even close to the chicken one that was my favourite.

Anonymous said...

The chicken-salad one does look interesting - altho I might reverse the chicken/cottage cheese proportions, or at least use equal amounts.
I disliked cottage cheese as a child - it was one of the few things I peppered quite generously, just to give it some flavor!

Shay said...

I think old-time and homemade cottage must have been more solid than what you get now -- I can't imagine putting the new stuff on a sandwich and expecting it not to oooooze on over the side.