Thursday, June 25, 2015

This Is A True Statement, Unfortunately


About mid-afternoon, a terrific explosion shook downtown and rattled our building.  Rattled a lot of people, too – I looked out the window to the courthouse and all these deputies came boiling out.  Turned out a semi blew a tire, but the buildings on either side of the street compressed the blast waves and made it sound like a bomb.  Trudy* came into my office.

She:  Omygawd that scared me.  Weren’t you scared?

Me:  I’m too dumb to be scared.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Not dumb, well trained to handle emergencies. You were just checking to see if you were needed. Thank you for that.

Bunnykins said...

Also known as unflappable, a much underappreciated quality in an age when everyone is performing for the ever present camera.

Lady Anne said...

@ Bunnykins - Or grabbing a camera and getting in the way.

Saw a newspaper article - Manchester Guardian, maybe - where the police are fining people who slow down to take pictures of traffic accidents. Using a phone while driving, and impeding traffic. Nine points and a 5,000 pound fine - almost US$8,000.

Maybe we should try that.

Shay said...

After the bang I looked for a plume and didn't see one so I pretty much shrugged it off. There are times when knowing too much about a situation is as bad as knowing too little.

Lady Anne said...

I like that statement. May I quote you?

Shay said...

I'm probably not the first person to say that but sure.