Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chillin'



From my copy of 250 Delectable Desserts, part of the Chicago Culinary Arts Institute’s output in the early ‘50’s.

Heavenly Hash
¼ pound (16) marshmallows
1 cup milk
1 cup almonds, blanched and chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup maraschino or candied cherries
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Dissolve marshmallows in milk over hot water.  Cool.  Add nuts and cherries.  Fold in whipped crem.  Freeze to a mush in refrigerator tray.  Beat well and freeze until firm.  Serves 8.

Frozen Strawberry Cake


1 ½ cups crushed strawberries
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup cream
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Combine ingredients in order listed and blend well.  Line a freezing tray with oiled paper, fill with the mixture and freeze until firm.  Cut into squares, top with whipped cream and a few pecan meats if desired.  Serves 6
.
Roquefort Mousse

5 ounces Roquefort cheese
½ cup milk
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Grate cheese and add to milk in top o double boiler.  Stir until melted, then cool.  Whip cream, fold into cheese mixture and freeze in refrigerator tray until firm.  Slice and serve with crackers for dessert.  Makes 1 pint mousse.

From copious reading in 19th and 20th century English cookbooks, I am familiar with the habit our cousins across the pond have of finishing off a meal with a savory (I beg your pardon.  Savoury).  At least they did according to Mrs. Beeton and Mrs. David. Still, I can’t see this last recipe catching on over here.

(The icebox ad is from Collier's magazine, 1915.  It's on Google Books).


2 comments:

KatB said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that loves these vintage recipes. Not in love with the Roquefort mousse, though. Also, I have one of those booklets: 5,000 Ways to Prepare Potatoes, or something, put out in the 1940's. I saw a whole set of them at a flea market last month, and am still kicking myself for not bringing cash.

Shay said...

There are a couple dozen, all published by the Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, and all of the ones I've seen have been late 40's-late 50's. I'm missing a few; I have deserts, salads, fish, snacks and appetizers, and the master menu plan. Some of their suggestions are quite mind-boggling.