Sunday, November 22, 2009

Staff of Life


Another fifty-cent treasure from the mission thrift shop, this one encouraging American housewives to explore the art of baking. It offered traditional recipes, such as this one for an oatmeal and molasses loaf;


...and up-to-date methods that allowed a busy homemaker to prepare the dough ahead of time.

And some that make me want to go straight into the kitchen and start baking.


Yummy.


(Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Bread Cook Book, published by Meredith Corporation, 1973. Left-click to enlarge, or go to my Flickr account).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that book too.. bought it at a book sale and I make the molasses oatmeal bread all the time.. I'm guessing yours is a hardback too? you're going to love it.

Shay said...

Thanks for the recommendation; I have been eyeing that oatmeal bread recipe!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog site and all the wonderful old fashioned stuff that you put on it. Margaretha Queensland Aust.

Shay said...

Thank you, Margaretha. The truth is, I just have so much stuff that I have to share it!

Packrat said...

Great find! Yummy is right.

Denise said...

One thing about seeing this on your blog...I didnt gain an ounce! I looovvvve bread! so good right out of the oven with melted butter oozing down into the cracks and creavices.....now I'm hungry. Guess I'll get a carrot and some water and imagine I'm eating that bread ;)